Johnny and Donna Watson
2013 Pace Setter Honorees
Each year, Neighborhood Healthcare honors a very special individual, couple, or family who goes above and beyond in service, commitment, and passion for not only Neighborhood Healthcare but other charities and worthy causes. It is our great pleasure to announce Johnny and Donna Watson as our 2013 Pace Setter Honorees. The Watsons fulfill all of these requirements while serving as an inspiration to others.
Johnny and Donna Watson moved to North County only 7 years ago from New York. The couple quickly got involved in giving back to the communities of Poway, Rancho Bernardo, and Escondido after relocating. Johnny is retired from a 33-year career as an executive with an international pharmaceutical company. Donna retired from a 25-year career in education when the couple moved to NYC. After volunteering for a historical church in the city, she was hired to spearhead the church’s annual fund. That experience paved the way for a new career as a development officer. The Watsons have three daughters and nine grandchildren and spend most of their time raising funds for their favorite charities and spending time with their family and friends.
Donna’s community contributions focus on supporting their church, healthcare for the underserved and higher education for women who are returning to college to complete their degrees.
- Active in their church in Poway, she serves as chair of the governing board that supports the mission of the church by overseeing all financial responsibilities. She also serves on one of two governance bodies in the Diocese of San Diego as an adviser to the bishop.
- Taking a leadership role in the AAUW Rancho Bernardo branch, she organizes events that provide scholarships to Palomar College and California State University San Marcos students.
- Serving her third year on Neighborhood Healthcare’s Pacesetter Gala committee, Donna is an engaged and valued member devoted to ensure the gala is a success.
Johnny’s community contributions are focused on Rotary, education and opportunities for at-risk youth, healthcare and legislative advocacy for community health centers.
- Having served as an Escondido Rotary board member and the club’s Vocational Service Director, Johnny raised $22,000 with the club’s help to provide scholarships to local youth. He also serves as auction chair for Rotary’s annual fundraising signature event, Coeur de Cuisine.
- Devoted to supporting community health centers like Neighborhood Healthcare through volunteer service, advocacy and annual fundraising efforts, Johnny joined Neighborhood Healthcare’s Board of Directors in 2007. He soon volunteered to create and spearhead Advocacy efforts. Volunteering to travel to Sacramento with Neighborhood Healthcare’s CEO, he speaks to legislators regarding the vital need for a safety net in our communities that provide our uninsured neighbors with needed medical, dental and behavioral healthcare services. Johnny now serves as Board President for Neighborhood Healthcare and is passionate about the benefit of community health centers.
The Watsons regularly share a spirit of commitment and passion for their favorite causes. They are goal oriented in achieving measurable success, and we are lucky to have them as part of the Neighborhood Healthcare family.
For more information contact Connie Burke, Director of Philanthropy,
at (760) 520-8365 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about Events on Facebook
Home | Career Opportunities | In
the News | Press Releases | Events | Annual Report | Board of Directors | Our
Supporters | It's About People